Insuring farms in Ontario since 1856. We understand how to protect your agri-business.
Farm Insurance Policies That Protect Your Livelihood
Dumfries is proud to be the oldest Ontario farm mutual insurance company. We have been insuring farms since before the invention of tractors!
Our level of insurance expertise and local knowledge of agri-business risks is second-to-none. Some of our agents farm themselves, so they know first-hand the kinds of coverages you need. Getting farm insurance from farmers just makes sense!
Our broad approach means that we offer everything from traditional farm insurance to hobby farm insurance to agri-tourism insurance.
Selected Farm Insurance Coverages Include*:
- Farm Dwellings (including personal property, living expenses, and personal effects)
- Limited Pollution Liability
- Livestock Mortality (cattle & equine)
- Commercial Feeds
- Herbicides, Pesticides, Fertilizers (not for resale)
- Potential Loss of Income (following an insured property loss)
- Personal Liability
- Farm Operation Liability
Specialty Coverage Options Include:
- Farmers Market Coverage
- Manufacturing of Natural/Organic Skin Products
- Hobby Farm
- Agri-Tourism (e.g. apple farm, pumpkin patch, small celebration venue location)
- Organic Farm
- Farming Stewardship Locations (e.g. teaching, not-for-profit, plant identification walks, bike tours, etc.)
- Harvested Crops
* Highlights only. Actual policy wordings govern. Coverage availability subject to underwriting eligibility and guidelines.
Each type of farm requires its own unique coverages, and some conditions apply.
Speak with your agent about available coverages to ensure that you are sufficiently protected.
We’re A Different Type of Insurance Provider
Dumfries is a mutual insurer, which means that we do things differently from the large, corporate insurers.
We are proud to be a 100% Canadian-owned company, owned solely by its policyholders, and backed by one of the world’s most financially secure insurance networks: 40 mutual companies, known as Ontario Mutuals, providing strength, stability, and expertise.
When you become a policyholder with Dumfries, you become a member owner of the company. This means:
- You have a voice.
When you purchase an insurance policy with us, you’re more than a policyholder. You become a member of our company and your vote counts when important decisions are being made.
- You support your local community.
When you pay your premiums, the money goes towards employing your neighbours, supporting the local economy, and investing in local projects.
- You are treated with respect.
When you need assistance, you will receive help from a caring and responsive team of professionals. You will never have to deal with a call centre.
- You will receive great rates.
When you have a policy with Dumfries you are supporting the not-for-profit company, Ontario Mutuals. You can rest assured that your premiums are not going to a select group of shareholders.
The spirit behind mutual insurance is supportive and helpful. It’s about looking out for the greater good — and that’s what makes us different.